Aditya Birla Institute of Gastroenterology Services
Key Consultants of the Department
The treatment of digestive diseases has witnessed revolutionary changes in the last two decades with newer modalities and minimally invasive options emerging at a rapid pace. We recognize that the management of complex gastroenterological problems is evolving into a multi-modality approach seamlessly intermingling with various specialities. We have hence pooled a team of gastroenterologists and hepatologists, gastro-intestinal and minimal access surgeons, endoscopists and interventional radiologists for comprehensive clinical care under one roof. Located on the first floor of the OPD, the Digestive Diseases Center (DDC) at the ABMH is a one stop shop for comprehensive management of any and every disease of the digestive system. We have the latest state of art equipment with cutting edge technology and a team of highly qualified, experienced and competent professionals. We strive to provide our patients the best possible clinical care based on well defined protocols.
Speciality Services offered :-
- The surgical team at the Aditya Birla DDC is trained and proficient in major and complex GI surgical operations like:
- Liver Resections for primary and metastatic liver tumors, Intra-operation ultrasound (IOUS) guided Parenchyma preserving liver resections,
- Resection of hilar cholangio-carcinoma, radical cholecystectomy
- Surgery for portal hypertension - Porto-systemic shunt operations and devascularisation procedures
- Surgery for ulcerative colitis - Restorative proctocolectomy (Pouch operations) and sphincter saving operations for low rectal cancers,
- Esophagectomy for esophageal cancers and Esophageal bypass for corrosive stricture,
- Pancreatic resections and necrosectomy, and
- Re-operative abdominal surgery, surgery for GI fistulae
The excellent critical care back-up and interventional radiology and endoscopy support facilitate management in critical patients who need protocol based multi-disciplinary treatment like acute severe pancreatitis, acute severe ulcerative colitis, GI and biliary fistulae and GI bleeding, to name a few.
Liver transplantation is one of the important thrust areas at the DDC. The DDC is staffed by surgeons and hepatologists who have worked in some of the best transplant units in the world. A Liver Transplantation programme is on the anvil.
Minimally invasive surgery
Minimally invasive surgery has developed very well in the last 2 decades and practically no organ of the digestive system has escaped its realm. The minimally invasive alternative results in less pain, scarring and early recovery for the patient. The DDC has a team of Minimally Invasive Surgeons, some of them pioneers in this field who have earned international acclaim. Equipped with the latest instrumentation and optics including gadgets like Ligasure and latest generation Harmonic scalpel for hemostasis, the MIS department performs advanced and complex GI surgical procedures by endoscopic surgery.
Apart from cholecystectomy and appendicectomy,
- Hernia repairs, CBD explorations, Drainage of liver cysts and abscesses, Splenectomy,
- Foregut surgery - Cardiomyotomy, fundoplication and Laparoscopic and thoracoscopic assisted esophageal resections, gastrectomy
- Colo-rectal resections, Internal drainage of pseudocyst (Cystogastrostomy) and drainage of pancreatic abscess are few of the operations performed by Minimally Invasive techniques.
A dedicated weight management and obesity center is on the cards with facility for laparoscopic bariatric surgery.
Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy :
The endoscopy center at the DDC has dedicated endoscopists, some of them leaders in their field. It has the latest high resolution video endoscopy unit and offers the entire gamut of diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic upper GI, lower GI and pancreatico-biliary interventions. There is a separate endoscopy suite staffed by specially trained endoscopy nurses so as to create a comfortable environment for the patients and towards making endoscopy as stress-free an experience as possible.
- Endoscopic Control of upper GI Bleed (banding, sclerotherapy, heater probe, clipping)
- Endoscopic Dilatation of benign and malignant strictures and stent placement in Oesophagus, Stomach, Duodenum & Colon.
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy, Endoscopic removal of foreign Bodies
- ERCP and clearance of CBD stones, stent placement in biliary obstruction
- Endoscopic Drainage of pseudocyst of pancreas, Endotherapy of chronic pancreatitis are the commonly performed endoscopic procedures.
Small bowel Enteroscopy and capsule endoscopy facilities will be introduced shortly.
Specialty clinics will include:
- Luminal (Bowel) clinic: for management of patients with chronic bowel problems like Irritable bowel syndrome, Inflammatory bowel disease and other intestinal disorders
- Hepato-biliary and pancreatic clinic: management of patients with liver and biliary diseases and chronic pancreatitis
- GI cancer clinic: Screening for GI cancer and management of various GI cancers
- Telemedicine facility for distance learning and teaching activities. Challenging cases will be discussed with national and international experts
- Gastroenterology library with electronic and digital resources and teaching materials to assist the faculty and health professionals
- At the DDC, we believe that the referral practitioners and family doctors are the pillars of health care delivery system and intend to work in close liason with them. They also form a great support system for the patients and are encouraged to follow their patients even when in the hospital and assist us in there management. Patients are referred back under their able care at the earliest
The Institute of Gastroenterology is committed towards delivering the highest quality of compassionate care at an affordable cost.