Aditya Birla Institute of Neurology
Key Consultants of the Department
The Institute of Neurosciences at ABMH is a comprehensive set-up with multiple subspecialtiesunder one roof for complete care of any Neurological condition.
Postgraduate doctors in the respective specialties are available onsite for continuous, round the clock observation and management of patients admitted in the hospital.
Subspecialty services available :
- Interventional Neurology
Neurology is the scientific study of normal and abnormal functioning, complete evaluation, analysis and management of all the diseases and disorders of all the parts of the nervous system. These include Brain, Spine, Nerve roots, Nerves, Muscles etc., and all aspects of their functioning.
The general conditions for which a Neurologist’s opinion should be sought include:
- Headache, memory disturbances (Alzheimer"s disease and other dementias etc), Intellectual decline, Speech Problems, Stress Intolerance, Sleep Disorders, Change in Personality, Abnormal Behavior, Giddiness, Vertigo, Unconsciousness, etc.
- Weakness (paralysis), Loss of sensation or numbness, Imbalance or incoordination,Loss of vision, Loss of hearing, Tinnitus (abnormal noise in the ears) Double vision, Swallowing problems, Wasting of muscles, Inability to walk, Chronic pain syndromes, Seizures (convulsionsasin epilepsy), Drop attacks etc.
- Stroke (brain hemorrhage / infarction), Diseases of arteries and veins of the brain and spinal cord, Brain tumors.
- Parkinson"s disease, Wilson’s Disease,Twitching of the face, squint, Dystonias, Writer"s cramp, Tourette"s syndrome, Tremors, Tics,Myoclonus, Chorea etc.
- Infections of brain and spine or nerves like Meningitis and Encephalitis,Tuberculosis, Malaria, Leprosy etc.
- Multiple Sclerosis, Guillain Barré syndrome, Myasthenia Gravis,Muscular dystrophies, Motor Neuron Disease, Neuropathies etc.
Sub-Specialities in Neurology -
Emergency management of stroke within minutes or hours can dramatically alter the outcome. We have a dedicated stroke team, which is implementing the stroke protocols without any delays as soon as the patient enters the hospital. We also have the most advanced backup technology for best possible care of a stroke patient.
• Interventional Neurology :
An interventional Neurologist is available for any neurological intervention like Stenting / Coiling as required often in cases of acute stroke, aneurysms, AV malformations, etc., with a complete and advanced technological backup.
• Epilepsy :
All types of epilepsies and the resultant complications, as well as various aspects of supportive care for improving quality of life in epilepsy patients are available. Facilities for epilepsy surgery in deserving patients are also available.
• Movement Disorder :
For patients with Parkinson"s disease, Wilson"s disease Chorea, Athetosis, Dystonias, Tourette syndrome.
Restless legs syndrome, Tremors etc, experienced team is available for complete care, including surgery and rehabilitation in selected cases.
• Headache :
Though Migraine is known to be the most common cause of headache, there are many other causes of headache like allergies, infections, drugs, tumors etc, and there are also other types of headaches like cluster headache etc. Only an expert with vast experience in treating headaches is usually able to differentiate and treat complex headaches. We are offering speciality headache clinic at our institute on a weekly basis.
• Dementia and Memory Disturbances :
Specialists in the field of dementia and other memory disturbances are available for comprehensive and long term care of such patients.
• Multiple Sclerosis and Demyelinating Diseases :
A first in India to evaluate and comprehensively manage all types of Multiple Sclerosis and Demyelinating diseases, and also to participate in various international research trials for MS patients. Our Neurology expert has worked in one of the largest MS clinics in the world with an experience of treating over 2500 MS cases personally, and is available to patients, community physicians as well as Neurologists for all aspects of MS care.
• Neurorehabilitation :
The Neurorehabilitation team conducts specialty clinics for Stroke, Movement Disorders, Epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Myelopathies, C.P., and many other neurological conditions where rehabilitation makes a great difference in the final clinical outcome, and improves quality of life.
• Botulinum Toxin (Botox) :
Botulinum toxin is a poison that causes paralysis of muscles. In small doses, it can be used to treat stiffened and painful muscles or twitching of facial muscles. It is also used for treatment of all kinds of painful Dystonias, cramps etc.
• Stress :
Nobody lives free of stress, and our mental and physical efficienciesmay sometimes significantly be lowered because of stress. Our normalreactions may be altered, and health may be adversely affected due to stress in more ways than we imagine. Many a neurological conditions may either be caused or worsened by stress.
At this World-Class Neurosciences set-up, we also offer various investigations that help us accurately diagnose Neurological Conditions. These investigations include:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Magnetic Resonance Brain Angiography (MRA)
- Digital Substraction Brain Angiography (DSA)
- Computerised Tomographic Scanning (CT Scan)
- Electromyography (EMG -Muscle Studies)
- Nerve Conduction and Velocity studies (NCV)
- 4-channel Evoked Potential Studies (SSEP, VEP, BAEP etc)
- Electroencephalography (EEG for Brain electrical activity)
- Video EEG for epilepsy studies.
We have certified specialists performing these studies with a vast experience in some of the best Indian institutes.
A solid back up of Neuro- Intensive care team, Radiologists and Pathologists functional 24/7 for intensive monitoring of critical patients by onsite specialists makes all the difference in the care and outcome of such patients.
Also, in complicated cases, all the related specialists meet to analyze and manage the case in the best possible scientific manner based on the most advanced research and experience.