Aditya Birla Pain Management Clinic
Key Consultants of the Department
Pain is an uncomfortable feeling that tells you something may be wrong in your body. Acute pain following fractures, injuries, cuts etc. is temporary, which fades away as normal healing takes place.
Chronic painis a pain which lasts for a longer duration and is much more complex & difficult to manage. Chronic pain may result from previous injury, surgery, arthritis, disc-related problem, nerve damage, cancer or due to chronic infection.
Ongoing constant pain can make it difficult or even impossible to have a normal life. Family, work, income and life style can all be negatively affected by intractable pain. It can cause irritability, frustration, anxiety, depression, poor concentration, poor memory, and poor sleep. It can leave you feeling exhausted. Pain should be acknowledged as a disease process and must be assessed and addressed properly. Anyone with serious pain should visit their healthcare professional immediately. In our Pain management Clinic we help patients by easing or eliminating their pains while teaching them skills that will make living with pain easier.
► Benefits of Appropriate Pain Management
Most pain can be relieved with proper pain management. When pain is managed, the body heals better and faster, reduce suffering, stress, depression, anger and helps a person resume his normal life. It allows the person to become more productive in society, through work, family life, or social activities.
► Who are we?
Our Pain Management Clinic is dedicated to provide you the best possible care and will work with you to develop a plan that will enable you to live your life with dignity and less discomfort. Our Pain physician is an Anaesthesiologist, with additional training and experience in the advanced techniques of pain relief.
Our center believes in a multidisciplinary approach to pain care .Experts in various specialty areas may be involved in your care. They include, Physiotherapist, Orthopaedic surgeons, Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, Dieticians, Clinical Psychologist and more.
► Our Pain Management Clinic offers the following modes of treatment:
- Pharmacological (drug) therapy
- Interventional Pain Procedures
- Trigger point Injection
- Peripheral Nerve blocks
- Sympathetic blocks
- Image-guided nerve blocks and injection therapy
- Radiofrequency lesioning
- Intrathecal drug delivery
- Therapeutic Exercises
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Pool therapy
- Psychotherapy and counselling
- Nutrition Counseling
• Oral Medications (Tablets & liquid)
Pain relieving drugs are very effective for mild pain. However use of these drugs for long period can be limited by side effects such as stomach upset constipation, dizziness, sleepiness, vomiting & may lead to ulcers.
• Therapeutic Exercises
Exercise stimulate your body to release its own pain relieving chemical endorphins. Medically guided exercise promotes strength to muscles & relaxes them adequately. It helps to control different types of pain.
• Image guided Nerve Blocks and Injection Therapy
Nerve blocks are injections directly near certain nerves that stop the nerves from sending pain messages. Nerve blocks can either be temporary using local Anaesthetics or more long lasting by injecting neurolytic solutions. Some time Nerve Stimulators, X-ray, C.T. Scanning like modernequipments are used for accuracy.
► Advanced Pain Therapies:
• Radio Frequency Lesioning: This treatment with the help of Radio Frequency waves interrupts the pain messages carried to brain. This most effective and safe method is used for Trigeminal Neuralgia, Neck & Back pain, Cancer pain & many other pain patients.
• Neuro-stimulation: This uses a small neurostimulation system that is surgically placed under the skin to send mild electrical impulses to the spinal cord or to peripheral nerve. The impulsesare delivered through a special medical wire (called a lead). Neurostimulation works in the area where pain signals travels, so the electrical impulses (which are felt as tingling) can be directed to cover the specific sites where you are feeling pain. Neurostimulation reduces the need for pain medications and causes very good pain relief.
• Intrathecal Drug Delivery: This system uses a small pump that is surgically placed under the skin of the abdomen to deliver pain medication through a small, soft tube directly into the intrathecal space near the spinal cord. So this system can offer effective pain control, with a small fraction of the doseof medicine.
• What are the Advantages of Interventional Pain Procedures?
These procedures are safe & precise to the problem area; There is minimal tissue damage and no skin incision required. Even critically ill patients can tolerate the procedure well. Most of them are performed under local Anaesthesia so they are not painful. Patient recovers fast and can go home on same or next day. Relief obtained is immediate and far superior and long lasting.
► Our Pain Management Clinic treats patients with many types of pain, including -
- Headaches- Migraine, Tension, Cervicogenic
- Neck pain (Cervical Spondylitis)
- Frozen Shoulder
- Back pain / leg pain (Disc Related)
- Failed back surgery pain
- Joint pains Musculo-skeletal pains
- Neuralgic pain
- Herpetic pain, Post Herpetic Neuralgia
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- CRPS Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- (Persistent pain in limb following injury of surgery)
- Scar Pain, Post Injury Pain
- Limb pain caused by diabetic neuropathy
- Phantom pain (Persistent pain following amputation)
- Cancer pain
- HIV / AIDS related pain.