The surgical team at the Gastro sciences department of ABMH is trained and proficient in major and complex GI surgical operations like:
• Liver Resections for primary and metastatic liver tumors, Intra-operation ultrasound (IOUS) guided Parenchyma preserving liver resections,
• Pancreatic resections for pancreatic cancer and necrosectomy
• Resection of hilar cholangio-carcinoma, radical cholecystectomy, surgery for benign biliary strictures
• Surgery for portal hypertension – Porto-systemic shunt operations and devascularisation procedures
• Surgery for ulcerative colitis – Restorative proctocolectomy (Pouch operations) and sphincter saving operations – low and ultra-low anterior resections for rectal cancers
• Esophagectomy for esophageal cancers and Esophageal bypass for corrosive stricture
• Re-operative abdominal surgery, surgery for GI fistulae
• The excellent critical care back-up and interventional radiology and endoscopy support facilitate management in critical
patients who need protocol based multi-disciplinary treatment like acute severe pancreatitis, acute severe ulcerative colitis, GI and biliary fistulae and GI bleeding, to name a few.
Liver transplantation is one of the important thrust areas at the department. The department is staffed by surgeons who have worked in some of the best transplant units in the world. A Liver Transplantation program is on the anvil.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Minimally invasive surgery has developed extensively over the last 2 decades and essentially no organ of the digestive system has escaped its realm. The minimally invasive alternative results in, less pain, minimum scarring and early recovery for the patient. The department has a team of acclaimed Minimally Invasive Surgeons. Equipped with the latest instrumentation and optics including gadgets like Ligasure and latest generation Harmonic scalpel for hemostasis, the surgeons performs advanced and complex GI surgical procedures by endoscopic surgery.
Apart from cholecystectomy (removal of gallbladder) and appendicectomy (removal of appendix), the other operations which are commonly performed are
• Laparoscopic hernia repairs, Splenectomy
• Foregut surgery – Cardiomyotomy, fundoplication and Laparoscopic and thoracoscopic assisted esophageal resections for esophageal cancer, gastrectomy for gastric cancer
• Colo-rectal – Laparoscopic Colo-rectal resections for cancer, rectopexy for rectal prolapse
• Hepato-biliary and pancreatic – Laparoscopic CBD explorations, choledochal cyst excision, Internal drainage of pseudocyst (Cysto- gastrostomy) and drainage of pancreatic abscess
• VARD – Video-endoscopic assisted retroperitoneal debridement in acute necrotizing pancreatitis, Drainage of liver cysts and abscesses
The department has a dedicated weight management and obesity center with comprehensive evaluation by the team consisting of an endocrinologist, dietitian, obesity surgeon, physio-therapist and offers the entire gamut of laparoscopic bariatric operations.
Diagnostic & Therapeutic Endoscopy
• Endoscopic Control of upper GI Bleed (banding, sclerotherapy, heater probe, clipping)
• Endoscopic Dilatation of benign and malignant strictures and stent placement in Oesophagus, Stomach, Duodenum & Colon.
• Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy, Endoscopic removal of foreign Bodies
• ERCP and clearance of CBD stones, stent placement in biliary obstruction
• Endoscopic Drainage of pseudocyst of pancreas, Endotherapy of chronic pancreatitis are the commonly performed endoscopic procedures .Endoscopic ultrasound, Small bowel Enteroscopy and capsule endoscopy facilities will be introduced shortly.